Dr. Steven K. Kim, DMD
Diplomate, American Board of Endodontics
Born in South Korea, Dr. Kim moved with his family to Illinois at a young age. Dr. Kim attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where he graduated with a B.S. degree in molecular and cellular biology with a minor in chemistry. Following his undergraduate studies Dr. Kim attended the University of Illinois at Chicago, where he received his D.M.D. During his years in dental school he received several awards including American Association of Endodontists Student Achievement Award and the Illinois Academy of General Dentistry Senior Award. Immediately following dental school, he specialized in endodontics at Columbia University in the City of New York. During his residency, he was selected as the Chief Resident at the Columbia University Endodontics program as well as a councilmember of the Resident Expert Advisory Council in the Foundation for Endodontics.
Following graduation from the endodontic program, he achieved a Diplomate status from the American Board of Endodontics. Only 20% of all endodontists have this advanced certification, involving a three part intensive examination. Dr. Kim was also appointed as a Clinical Instructor at Columbia University Endodontics program. Dr. Kim’s passions include helping those in need, which is exemplified by his recent mission trip to Jamaica in early 2019.
Outside of his career, Dr. Kim enjoys golf, tennis, fitness and snowboarding. To better serve our patients, Dr. Kim also speaks Korean and Spanish.
What It Means to Be a Diplomate and the Value of a Certificate
Only 20% of all endodontic specialists achieve the Diplomate, board certification status. By achieving the Diplomate status, your endodontist has gone beyond the endodontic specialty education and licensing requirements of the American Dental Association. He has shown a great inner motivation and exceptional commitment to continuing professional growth by completing examinations administered by a panel of experts. Completing this three-part examination demonstrates
- Achieving the highest level of knowledge and skill possible.
- Continually pursuing new knowledge and experience.
- Fully understanding and applying new research and advances in the practice of endodontics.
- Ensuring the highest possible quality of care for you, the patient.
Membership in Professional Associations:
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Association of Endodontists
- American Dental Association
- International Association of Dental Traumatology
- Lasers in Dentistry Study Club
Awards & Honors:
- American Association of Endodontists Achievement Award
- Illinois Academy of General Dentistry Senior Award
- Hu-Friedy Golden Scaler Award
- First Place Award in IAGD Case Presentation Competition
- Dr. Jerry F. Balaty Award
- Dr. William Stroner Award
- Paul W. Clopper Scholarship